Healthy skin is beautiful skin. That lovely, youthful glow comes from a thriving, healthy body with all the right nutrients. But what vitamins do you need for beautiful skin? And can you get them from your diet in your food, or do you need to buy vitamin supplements? The most important vitamins for skin are vitamins D, E, C, and K. We have already talked about B-vitamins for having a beautiful skin.
Vitamin D for Beautiful Skin
Your skin will manufacture enough vitamin D to keep you healthy with just 10 to 15 minutes of daily exposure to the sun. You need to limit your skin’s exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. Still, it is critical to get enough vitamin D. Wear sunscreen, but take vitamin D supplements in the winter, or if you see signs, you may need more.
Increase your vitamin D with:
- 10+ minutes of sunshine a day
- Eat Vitamin D fortified foods, like breakfast cereals, orange juice, and yogurt
- Eating foods naturally high in Vitamin D like salmon, tuna, and cod
Vitamin E for Beautiful Skin
Vitamin E is also an antioxidant. It protects against sun damage by the absorbing harmful UV light. This photoprotection helps prevent wrinkles and dark spots. Vitamin E is in many skincare products, but getting vitamin E in your diet is better.
Increase your vitamin E with:
- Nuts and seeds like almonds and sunflower seeds
- A multivitamin or vitamin E supplement
- Topical products with vitamin E and vitamin C because they work better together
Vitamin C for Beautiful Skin
Vitamin C has cancer-fighting (antioxidant) properties and helps in collagen production. It is a key ingredient in many antiaging skin care products. Vitamin C can make your sunscreen more effective by decreasing skin cell damage. Vitamin C helps heal damaged skin, reduces wrinkles’ appearance, and helps repair and prevent dry skin.
Increase your vitamin C with:
- Fruits like oranges and strawberries or drink OJ
- Plant-based vitamin C like broccoli and spinach
- Supplements, as recommended by a doctor
- Antiaging treatments with vitamin C for redness, dryness, wrinkles, or age spots
Vitamin K for Beautiful Skin
Vitamin K aids in blood clotting to heal wounds and bruises. Skin conditions connected to vitamin K are:
- Stretch marks
- Spider veins
- Dark spots
- Circles under the eyes
Vitamin K is in topical creams because it helps many skin conditions.
Increase your vitamin K with:
- Green beans
Vitamins are essential for beautiful skin. You might get enough of these vitamins in your diet. But if your skin suggests otherwise, add some food rich in these vitamins or talk to your doctor.